Wednesday, May 23, 2007

On the High Seas

Actually the sea is pretty calm. We are currently on the 24hr ferry from Corfu to Venice. We are about halfway there or so. This ferry is a million times better then the last one. No truckers, fresh air, big cabins and Internet access... ahhhh civilisation.

Only problem is it is a bit boring. Amelia is currently playing cards so I thought I'd get my computer fix and do a post. Its via a satellite link and on a Greek keyboard so things are a little laggy and odd.

Our last day in Corfu was a blast. We spent the entire day on George's Boat. George is a somewhat dodgy old Greek guy who has been running scenic boat trips for Contiki for something like 30 years. He is hilarious and flirts with all the girls and tries to get everyone naked !

First stop on the trip is at a beachfront hotel where you get to try out all sorts of water sports. Lots of the group did paragliding but Amelia and I hired the Jet ski. Boy do those things go. Amelia got it up past 90km/hr with me clinging on to the back. She didn't trust my driving so I only pushed it to 75Km/hr. I did however get her to let me do donuts at 50km/hr.

After the water sports we had a simple but tasty lunch and then went up the coast for the first of two swimming stops. The water was pretty warm and very clear. Diving off the boat was fun too. The Mediterranean sea is very salty so it was easy to just bob about in the water.

Next we headed off to Hanky Panky Island. On the way George made everyone sing their national anthem. So that meant just Amelia and I doing the NZ one (I don't know the words, the shame of it) and only me doing the South African one !

More swimming at Hanky Panky Island with George desperately trying to get everyone to skinny dip (with only mild success) and then back to the harbour and the hotel for dinner.

All in all a great day.

So our next stop is Venice which should be fantastic. On the way we will hopefully get to stop at Verona too.

We'll post another update as soon as we can.

3 comments:

johan said...

What a ball! We are very envious as winter is finally arriving in NZ.Uncle James is back in London. If you have time I can txt you his no. Enjoy!

Heather said...

Hey There you guys!!
Love reading about your travels!! have fun and keep posting your adventures!
Heather

Unknown said...

Hey does George own the Pink Palace Hostel by any chance? I know who you're talking about if that's him.